Traditional Tiramisu



I finally got around to putting this on my blog! It’s been on my Patreon for a while - thank you to all my subscribers. From all the research I could do this seems to be a pretty traditional version. I only have a small claim to Italy and I wish I knew more about my ancestors there. My great grandparents on my maternal side were born in Italy and immigrated to the Bronx at the turn of the century. I think that makes me 1/8th Italian - not much, but probably one of my favorite 1/8ths of me!


I make my tiramisu with raw eggs, like they do in Italy. It shouldn’t be a problem if you buy good eggs. They don’t need to be expensive, just fresh and from a brand/farmer you trust.


If you’re still uncomfortable with raw eggs, you can buy pasteurized eggs or whip your yolks and whites in a bowl over gently simmering water before transferring to a standing mixture. You’ll need a thermometer. 140 F is the temp that eggs are pasteurized at, without cooking them. If you’re pregnant or otherwise concerned, go for it, but I’ll say that I ate unpasteurized eggs and cheese during both my pregnancies and was fine. You do you! I have never had any type of food poisoning in my life so perhaps I’m cavalier about it, but my general view is American food safety is a little over board (and wasteful when it comes to things like expiration dates!) Enjoy and of course, feel free to dm me with any questions/comments! 


Traditional Tiramisu


  • 8 eggs


  • 1 cup sugar


  • 16 oz mascarpone cheese


  • 1 package lady fingers (usually 14-16 oz)


  • 1 1/2 cup espresso or very strong coffee


  • 2-3 tablespoons rum or brandy


  • about 1/4 cup cocoa powder to dust top



  1. Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar with an electric beater or standing mixer about 5 minutes until pale and tripled in volume. It should get to the “ribbon stage” where if you turn off the beater the batter will fall down onto itself in a ribbon that holds its shape for a little bit.
  2. Remove yolk mixture to a large bowl and clean out mixing bowl well. It needs to be squeaky clean with no yolk residue to whip the whites properly.
  3. Whip egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until white and fluffy and mixture holds soft peaks.
  4. Now mix mascarpone into yolk mixture with a whisk until smooth. Try not to over eat it because you want the air to stay in. Then gently fold whites into yolk mixture until combined and set aside.
  5. Dust tiramisu with a layer of cocoa. It should be fairly thick so you don’t see under it.
  6. Pour espresso into a shallow dish big and add rum or liqueur. Dunk lady fingers one at a time in espresso and make one layer of them in the dish.
  7. Then spread half of egg mixture over lady fingers. An offset spatula will make this easier. Add another layer of espresso soaked lady fingers and then cover with the rest of the egg mixture.
  8. Cover and refrigerate at least for and up to 24 hours. The more it sits the better it gets.
  9. Before serving dust top well with another layer of cocoa powder. Use a spatula and cut into squares or serve in scoops with a large serving spoon. Any leftovers will last in the fridge 2-3 days.

Comments