Dark chocolate and sea salt cookies

Dark chocolate and sea salt cookies

I've been making these cookies since I stumbled across Jaques Torres' recipe in a New York Times article and people go nuts over them. They are not your standard Toll House cookies - they require good chocolate (I like Guittard or Valhrona,) two types of flour, and an overnight rest of the dough in the fridge. The two types of flour and the overnight rest are what make these cookies so amazing - they're chewy and crisp at the same time. They are, in a word, outofthisworld.


Dark chocolate and sea salt cookies



Jacques Torres' Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (adapted from The New York Times)


Ingredients

  • 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour
  • 1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks, at least 60 percent cacao content (Jacques Torres, Valhrona, Guittard)
  • Sea salt (I like to use Maldon but a good flaky sea salt will do)


Method

  1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
  2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and mix until evenly incorporated. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours.
  3. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours, or frozen for a few months.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
  5. Scoop 12 mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 14 to 18 minutes depending on your oven. DO NOT OVER BAKE and error on the underbaked side. They will firm up a little while they cool.
  6. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking another day. Dough also freezes perfectly.


Yield: 4 dozen.

Comments

Jessica said…
I have always wanted this recipe from you. I'm so excited to give these a try. I'll let you know how they turn out. Congratulations Miss Emily!
lisakline said…
Hi Emily, Nora sent me your blog. I've saved this cookie recipe but never actually made it- I am now inspired to do so!
Emily Baird said…
Yes, let me know - we should call them the Secret Service Cookies!
Emily Baird said…
You should, they're delicious! Stay tuned for more recipes :)
Anonymous said…
I love those cookies made by you. But if I have to make them myself, o. K. Can't wait to get back home to bake them. Yum, cookie monster!
Donna Williams said…
I Will try these! Coarse salt really? I'll make them this weekend for my kids...my cookies vs yours. lol.
Emily Baird said…
Hi Donna,

I'm measuring ingredients for a new batch right now. I baked some off last night and they were a hit once again. Hope you and your kids enjoy them!
smith said…
It's wonderful that we now have the ability to share our thoughts. through blogs and internet services, I felt the same way, keep sharing more posts on this side with us in the future.
visit site